The Centre for Bhutan Studies & Gross National Happiness (CBS & GNH) is a premier social science research centre established for conducting inter-disciplinary studies on Bhutan for advancing its social, cultural, economic and political wellbeing.
The Royal Government of Bhutan has given the Centre the mandate to:
1. Study Bhutan’s development philosophy Gross National Happiness and GNH Index and indicators to inform public policy and development.
2. Conduct and promote historical and contemporary studies of relevance to Bhutan;
3. Conduct policy studies for the Royal Government of Bhutan;
4. Commission research studies by Bhutanese scholars and institutions;
5. Collaborate, at its discretion, with other agencies on basic research of mutual interest;
6. Facilitate training in research skills and analysis through internships for Bhutanese individuals;
7. Host lectures and seminars by Bhutanese and foreign scholars;
8. Be a clearing-house for information about research conducted in Bhutan and abroad by institutes and individuals;
9. Publish journals, occasional research papers, and definitive and authoritative documents on Bhutan; and
10. Encourage research and publications in Dzongkha and English.
Disclaimer: Centre for Bhutan Studies & Gross National Happiness (CBS & GNH) is often confused with GNH Centre based in Bumthang. CBS & GNH studies GNH by deepening the GNH concept, developing GNH index and GNH indicators to influence public policy and development, and designing tools to integrate GNH into national planning process. GNH Centre is an NGO.
Edited on 8 June 2017.